Henry Arthur Ligon - Obituary - American National Bank of Spartanburg - President

Henry Arthur Ligon

10/15/1856 – Sandy Run, SC
09/20/1925 – Spartanburg, SC

Dr. HA Ligon
Funeral Arrangements Will Be Made Early Today
Death Was At 11:10 PM
Condition Became Critical Late Yesterday Afternoon
Had Lived Here 44 Years
Started Drug Store on Borrowed Capital as Young Man

Dr. H. A. Ligon, 69, local bank president and cotton mill executive, died at the mark Black clinic at 11:10 o’clock last night after undergoing an operation Sunday morning.  No fears of the outcome of the operation had been entertained until late yesterday afternoon when his condition became critical and attending physicians summoned relatives to the bedside.
                Funeral arrangements had not been made at the early this morning because it was not known how soon daughter Mrs. J. H. Gibboney who resides in Richmond can reach the city.
                The American National bank of which Dr. Ligon was president, will be closed today.  Ligon’s Seed Store and Ligon and Grier Insurance will also be closed.
                A resident of Spartanburg for 44 years, Dr. Ligon was one of its outstanding and prominent citizens.  Not only did he occupy a commanding position in its commercial activity, but he displayed a lively interest in enterprises having as their purposes the promotion of the cultural and educational phases of its life.
                Born at Sandy Run near Columbia, he spent a greater part of his boyhood at Pendleton in Anderson county where many residents of the lower part of the state refugeed after the Civil war.  During this boyhood period, he obtained his education at a private school conducted by his father.
                Beginning his business career at the age of 17, he obtained a position in the town of Anderson where he remained for two years.  He then moved to Columbia to enter employ of the Jackson drug store.  After six years there, he obtained one of the first licenses ever issued by the state of South Carolina to pharmacists, and with borrowed capital he came to Spartanburg and established a drug store that is still in existence.
                Dr. Ligon’s choice of a location for his business was fortunate for it prospered from the start.  The young druggist who had come to the city with little capital gradually became recognized as one of the Spartanburg’s most astute business mean, and opportunities to engage in other enterprises were opened to him.
                in 1902, foreseeing the opportunities that were to come in the cotton manufacturing business, Dr. Ligon organized a company to build Arcadia mills three miles west of the city.  On the completion of the plant, he became its president and active operating head, and continued as such until his death last night.
                The original plant was virtually doubled in size and capacity one year ago on the completion of Arcadia mill number 2.  This second plants stands a few hundred yards west of the original mill and represents an investment of approximately $750,000.
                Dr. Ligon enlarged his textiles manufacturing activities in 1920 by acquiring control of the Mills mill at Greenville.  Another plant was scoured in 1923 when the Grey mill at Woodruff was bought and its name changed to Mill mill number 2.
                He entered the banking business in 1906 when the directors of the American National bank elected him to the presidency to success the late J. H. Sloan.  Under his administration, the banks has more than kept pace with the growth of Spartanburg, and has within six months made extensive improvements to its building.
                Despite his success in banking and manufacturing, Dr. Ligon retained a warm spot in his heart for his drug store that started him on the road to wealth.  On beginning the erection of the Arcadia mills, he sold an interest in the store to a partner who assumed active management, and later when the partner died, he a brother, Dr. J Temple Ligon of Anderson to sell his business there and to come to Spartanburg.
                He kept an interest in the business until three years ago when he sold all his stock to his brother, but since then he has kept in touch with his affair and watches its success with great satisfaction.  His connection with the drug business was completely severed, however, three months ago when Dr. J Temple Ligon sold the store.
                In conversation with a newspaper reporter a few weeks ago, Dr. Ligon talked enthusiastically of the pleasures he had gotten from his struggles to make the drug store a success, but in discussing his cotton mill and banking career, the pleasure of reminiscing seemed to depart.
                As a member of the city school board for many years, Dr. Ligon did much to give Spartanburg its excellent school system.  He was one of the first trustees of Converse College, and one of the organizers of the Spartanburg music festival.  He was treasurer of this latter enterprise for a number of years and a director until his death.
                The Church of the Advent (Episcopal) has also felt his presence in the congregation.  He has held office in the church for more than a quarter of a century and at his death, was one of the senior wardens.
                One of the latest achievements has been the development of the country club, of which he has been president for approximately a year and a half.  The construction of new swimming pool and an additional nine-hole unit to the golf course is attributed chiefly to Dr. Ligon’s management of the club affairs.
                One year after establishment himself in Spartanburg, Dr. Ligon married Miss Lucie Eileen Reed, a daughter of Judge J. P. Reed of Anderson.  He was left a widower about four years ago when Mrs. Ligon died.
                Surviving are two daughters, Mrs. J. H. Gibboney of Richmond and Mrs. F. H. Cunningham of Greenville, and two sons, H. A. Ligon, Jr. and W.P. Ligon of this city.  Three brothers, Dr. J Temple Ligon of this city, and R. S. and R. E. Ligon of Anderson also survive.